Commercial Property Contamination - Do's and Dont's in Attleboro, MA
Bio-hazards and contamination in your commercial property.
At SERVPRO of The Attleboros, we understand that any type of exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose potentially serious health threats. In a business or any commercial setting, sewage backup, blood cleanup or a chemical spill, can place YOU and other workers at risk. In these types of bio-hazardous situations, your primary focus needs to be safety.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of any and all affected areas.
- Call emergency services if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics lying around. Hang leathers and furs.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors. Try to have the areas as clean as possible.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use the television or power on any electronics.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Biohazards should not be taken lightly, so make sure you are following this protocol to remain safe in your place of business. At SERVPRO of The Attleboros, we care about our local community and people. If you have any questions, or would like to contact one of our professionals, please call 508-223-0505 or visit our website.
Don't Set Yourself on Fire this Independence Day - Attleboro, MA
Fire Safety should always be a priority on Fourth of July.
Fourth of July is a time to remember how far this county has come in such a relatively short time. July 4th marks America’s anniversary of Independence. Festivities usually include, food, crafty cupcakes you'd find on Pinterest, music, friends, and fireworks. Fireworks/sparklers can be very entertaining if you know how to use them in safety.
There are 280 emergency room visits during July alone. Why? Fireworks.
If you've been to a Massachusetts ER it can be very time-consuming an expensive, so use these safety tips to avoid all that money and time.
- Quickly move at least 10 feet away from the fireworks
- Keep toddlers and children a safe distance from the fireworks - they can have fun watching them, just don't go near them!
- Do not use fireworks if you are under the influence of drugs, tired, or thinking irrationally.
- Have backup water preferably in a bucket or hose in case of an unexpected fire
- If you’ve experienced fire, smoke, and soot damage please call SERVPRO of The Attleboros at 508-234-3399 to repair your home or commercial property/business
- Visit https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Fireworks for more information about fire and fireworks safety.
How To Be a Smart & Prepared Attleboro Business Owner
Above picture explains the benefits of having an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) with SERVPRO of the Attleboros.
BUSINESS OWNERS, DID YOU KNOW...
50 % of businesses may NEVER recover after a disaster strikes - that's half (1/2) of businesses. That's a huge number!
Preparation is imperative to running successful businesses. Let's face it...life is SO unpredictable, which can be nice, but in the commercial world "unpredictable" is a scary term. After all, anything's super scary if money is involved.
Commercial properties and businesses drive the value of areas like North Attleboro and Dodgeville, so having a specific protocol on hand for when emergencies occur is beneficial. That is why SERVPRO of the Attleboros has developed an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for businesses. Rest assured that an industrial leader for more than 40 years will get to the scene and mitigate damage from your disaster, mold, or flood.
The ERP Advantages:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility, meaning no need to allocate funds. Great value - zero cost.
- A concise document that contains all the important information about your cleanup/restoration job.
- A helpful, informational guide of what to do following a disaster.
- Established your SERVPRO Franchise Professional - you'll have peace of mind knowing an industry leader is there to assist you and close-by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. This saves time so we can begin mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
Having an Emergency READY Profile can save your business so much time, stress, and money. Please consider contacting SERVPRO of the Attleboros 508-223-0505 and setting up your ERP today!
Attleboro's Sandy & Storm Tips for Businesses
Sandy and Storm tips
SERVPRO of The Attleboros specializes in disaster cleanup + restoration, mold remediation, bio-remediation, building services, carpet cleaning and more. We have the most advanced equipment to get any cleaning or restoration job done quickly and correctly. It is always our #1 priority to make customers happy with our services.
Back in October 2012...
Hurricane Sandy took the east coast by surprise, being more devastating than anyone has expected. It started as a Depression in the Caribbean Sea and proceeded North, turning into a Category 1 Hurricane. Sandy went down to a depression again but then picked right back up to a first category. Due to a cold front coming, Sandy became a hybrid of two storms, which caused media outlets to dub it,“Frankenstorm”.
Sandy pummeled New England states including Massachusetts, largely due to the fact that people were ill-prepared and unaware of how bad it was.
Businesses must have flood insurance for this very reason. Many businesses in northern states were destroyed during Sandy because business and commercial property owners assumed a storm would never reach. No matter where you're located in the, anything can happen even if storm's and flooding in a particular area is uncommon.
Think: How many uncommon and unpredictable things happen on a daily basis in our lives?
Last;y, if you're experiencing Storm damage or flooding, call SERVPRO of The Attleboros at 508-223-0505!
Cleaning Your Commercial Property: We Mean Business- Attleboro
Cleaning your business safely and effectively - do NOT mix these products together!
It is important for business and commercial property owners to use safe cleaning chemicals, since Attleboro businesses are inhabited by adult, teens, children, and the elderly.
It is important to know the chemicals and cleaning solutions that should not be mixed together. Mixing certain substances together in an effort to create the perfect cleaning solution can and probably will backfire.
Harmful Substance Duo's
- Drain Cleaner and Another Drain Cleaner - Not a good idea to mix two types of drain cleaner together, since some cleaners can be acidic or alkaline. Drain cleaning formulas are so powerful on their own, so there's really no need to mix them.
- Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide - Although on their own, they're not harmful but mixed together it becomes nearly fatal. The combination of the two create peracetic acid, which can irritate the respiratory system and everywhere externally.
- Bleach and Rubbing Alcohol - This mixture creates a common deadly chemical: Chloroform. Not good!!!
Before attempting to mix substances together, make sure you conduct your research as to what exactly is in the product. Above all, do not mix these substances together in the same container or spray bottle.
Business + Commercial Property Owners:
Call SERVPRO of The Attleboros to mitigate your mess @ 508-223-0505
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter!
Advanced Technology When Storms Strike in Attleboro
Photo made with Canva Photo Editor
Hurricane Sandy was detrimental to Rhode Island, CT, MA, and other areas within the United States. There were about 149 reported fatalities due to this super storm that hit us in the fall of 2012. Millions upon millions were without power for days on end. If you remember this time, you would know how stressful things were and how on-edge people were (because nowadays we NEED the internet and WiFi to survive, don't we?). For more information on the cause/effects of Hurricane Sandy, go to National Geographic.
We at SERVPRO of the Attleboros wanted to take the time and give you guys the rundown of the storm damage technology we're working with.
- Electronic & Accurate Moisture detection equipment - When a storm damages parts of your home or business, it is important to assess the situation and look for any "hidden" moisture, or wetness that is not visible. There can be moisture in the walls, ceilings, furniture, and hard-wood floors (which act as a "sponge" for soaking up water). Moisture detection is done by means of electrodes. These devices were created to be extremely accurate when detecting water.
- Water Extraction Equipment - To dry the area faster, water extraction equipment is important. The Attleboro basement might be flooded, so a means of getting that water out makes for a more effective and faster drying process.
- Industrial Strength Air-Movers + Dehumidifiers - These will let the moisture evaporate fast and easy. They're portable and able to cover any size area in your home or commercial property.
- Note: Air-Scrubbers + Thermal Foggers might be needed to deodorize and rid the home of any lingering odors caused by moisture.
In addition to our technology, we have a highly trained team ready to repair.
Encountering storm damage or water damage? Call SERVPRO of the Attleboros now at 508-223-0505 and our dependable team will be there to fix it, "Like it never even happened."
May is National Wildfire Awareness Month & 6 Facts
Photo made with Canva Photo Editor
MAY is National Wildfire Awareness Month, and it can be represented by the hashtag #NationalWildfireAwarenessMonth in case you wanted to post about it on social media. Wildfires are pretty common in the highly wooded areas of California and other places. Don't you remember the 2018 California wildfires? It was devastating and allover the news. Statistics say that the 2018 Wildfires were the #1 deadliest and most destructive fire in California history. Maybe you were directly affected by it, or had friends or family residing on the west coast. Everyone has their own stories and experiences, but it's the perfect time to reflect on the importance of fire safety. Stay informed and ready. Fire's don't just happen across the country - they're in the Attleboros, too!
By the way, check out what's happening now - Florida Wildfires Shut Down Section of I-95
6 Noteworthy Facts:
- Plants and animals actually need fire to survive. After a fire, there's more space for a plant to grow and germinate.There's less competition for plant essentials - sunlight, H2O, and nutrients. More plants = more food for herbivores and a better environment.
- Most home fires are caused in the kitchen, which makes sense due to the stove, ovens, microwaves, and other heated appliances. Make sure you regularly monitor the functionality of all heated appliances in use, and shut them off when done. Use caution when grilling for your Memorial Day cookout!
- The "fire trifecta" includes oxygen, heat, and fuel. It's important to know that trying to put out a fire with oxygen will NOT make the situation better.
- Smoke inhalation and lack of oxygen is the primary cause of fire-related deaths - don't breathe that in and get yourself safely OUT!
- Look - we all love to have our room smelling like lilacs & lavender, but candles are one of the primary causes of home fires - do not leave it lit if you're leaving the area.
- Fire takes about 1-2 minutes to spread rapidly and substantially. Don't waste time and HURRY out of there!
You can also visit the National Fire Protection Association for more information, upcoming events, and fire statistics.
We at SERVPRO of The Attleboros (508-223-0505) wish you a fantastic and safe Memorial Day Weekend. We are indebted to those who died protecting our country.
SERVPRO of the Attleboros Has Some Smoke Alarm Tips
Image made with Canva Photo Editor
We all had classes on fire safety. Growing up in Attleboro, parents, guardians, and teachers told us to stay away from fire and to use caution so as not to cause a fire in your home or school. Fire spreads quickly and substantially, so it is imperative to know exactly what to do when faced with it. With the warm summer months upon us, it's time for many to get their aprons on and grille for the family! Keep these reminders in mind at your next North Attleboro July 4th rendezvous!
The key tips to practice total fire safety:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home where there are children, adults, and pets.
- It only takes less than 3 minutes for fire to spread and grow, so get out while you can!
- Remember if you have battery powered smoke alarms to replace the battery each year or when it is advised by the manufacturer.
- Check the condition of your smoke alarm periodically, and change after a few years (10 at most).
- Remember to TEST YOUR SMOKE ALARMS periodically throughout the year.
- To prevent "false alarms" (pun intended) dust around your smoke alarm regularly to remove any lingering particles.
- If you have a new fire alarm, be sure it abides by the National Fire Alarm Code standards.
- Fire sprinklers in your home might be a good idea, so that's a safety measure worth considering.
More more information on fire, smoke, and soot damage, please view our official website!
Experiencing fire. smoke, and soot damage? Call SERVPRO of the Attleboros right now at 508-223-0505! It'll be, "Like it never even happened."
Fire Isn't Fun - Tips For Attleboro Residents & Beyond
Image made with Canva Photo Editor
FIRE - that word alone can bring anyone fear, except if you're stranded on a desert island - then you'd get full of hope. Flames from a fire is always unexpected and traumatic. Nobody ever said fire was fun (accept for somebody accused of arson, maybe?). In the wooded areas of Attleboro, fires can especially become a problem and even after that, water damage may ensue in your residence or building.
Remember to do these things in case of a fire:
- Limit moving/touching affected areas to prevent tiny soot particles from getting into furniture & carpets
- Use clean towels/old linens on areas where people might be walking
- Wash houseplants thoroughly but carefully
- Change HVAC (Heating & air-conditioning) filter
If you're like me, you like your home or office to be clean (cars are sometimes an exception). If I see my items damaged in any way, my first inclination is to fix the damaged furniture, clothing, and electronics - after all, those items are so important to me. My mom once uttered the phrase to me, "A washer and dryer are your best friends."
Now this might be the case for usual circumstances, however with smoke, fire, and soot you SHOULD NOT attempt to clean anything. Doing this can also cause the smoke odor to set in the clothing, making it even harder to deodorize them.
SERVPRO of the Attleboros is dedicated to providing exceptional support during your stressful time. Call us now at 508-223-0505 now!
FIRE DAMAGE TIPS
Summer's Coming (and So Is Mold)!
Image made with Canva Photo Editor
After rain and storms, your residence or commercial property can get flooded and as a result, mold can become a huge issue due to its quick spreading and its love for wet, moist environments.
SERVPRO of The Attleboros is a leader in mold remediation. We understand what exactly mold is and both the effective and ineffective ways of treating it.
- The longer you wait to call a professional, the worse the damage will be
- Water is highly absorbent, even in places you might not normally think of - like wooden floors or ceilings - be aware that mold can grow in those places
- Mold spores are microscopic, so they're not visible to the naked eye
- Black mold is especially toxic and harmful to health
- Mold produces a pungent odor especially in highly concentrated areas
- It only takes 48-72 hours for mold to grow significantly
- We abide by the standards and regulations of The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)
- Mold remediation and mold removal are not synonymous - it is impossible to remove all mold because mold exists everywhere - however we'll make your residence/commercial property safe and habitable
Call SERVPRO of The Attleboros 24/7 at 508-223-0505 for Applied Microbial Remediation or other water damage and mold remediation services. Our team of technicians are trained in restoration where mold is present.
For more information, check out our informative Mold Remediation page on our official website.