We Specialize in Water Cleanup!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your home’s basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of The Attleboros and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill the Insurance Directly – One less thing for you to worry about
- Our Technicians are highly-trained in water restoration techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Understanding Post-Fire Cleanup
At SERVPRO of The Attleboros, we understand that your home or commercial facility contains many of your most valuable possessions. When a loss or damage takes control of your life, we help you take it back.
For this week’s blog, we will focus on the three types of contents services that our professionals provide.
One of the first priorities in fire restoration is to complete an accurate inventory to help ensure you can properly account for all your belongings. SERVPRO of The Attleboros can provide a detailed room-by-room inventory of contents, including digital photographs and bar codes for each item, suitable for filing insurance claims forms and relieving you of this often stressful and time-consuming process.
When the structure has suffered extensive damage, the cleanup and restoration process may need to be facilitated by relocating the contents for cleaning, deodorization and storage while structural repairs are being completed. A supervised moving crew can carefully pack and move the entire contents of your home or office.
All of the restorable contents in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This includes area rugs, furniture, draperies, and upholstery. Our franchise professionals begin by carefully inspecting and testing all fabrics in the structure to determine which cleaning methods are most appropriate. We provide wet or dry cleaning. Additionally, all the other restorable contents will be cleaned and deodorized to as near as preloss condition as possible. This includes electronics, art, wood furniture, kitchen items, clothing, bedding, bric-a-brac and much more.
Like it was never dirty, like it never overflowed, like it never caught fire – whatever the case, SERVPRO of The Attleboros can make any disaster, “Like it never even happened.”
The SERVPRO Story
Ted and Doris Isaacson launched SERVPRO in 1967 as a painting business in Sacramento, California. With a background in cleaning and restoration, Ted and Doris soon transformed the company into a franchisor of cleanup and restoration specialists.
After selling its first Franchise in 1969, SERVPRO continued to grow, acquiring the Bristol-Myers Domesticare Division and its 175 Franchises in 1979.
Nine years later, SERVPRO relocated the corporate headquarters from Sacramento to Gallatin, Tennessee. At the time, the SERVPRO system consisted of 647 Franchises.
SERVPRO Corporate quickly became a key contributor in its community, and in 1991, the Nashville Business Journal name SERVPRO the Small Business of the Year. In the meantime, the company continued its impressive growth, selling the 1,00th Franchise in 2000.
In 2005, SERVPRO moved to a 140,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art facility in Gallatin to provide more room for expansion. Today, there are more than 1,700 Franchises operating nationwide. The need for experienced, trained, and professional cleanup and restoration experts is recession resistant, and the growth potential inside of a proven system presents an opportunity for prospective Franchisees.
With a proud history, a successful present and bright future, SERVPRO will continue to press on toward becoming the premier cleaning and restoration company in the world.
Storm Damage in Seekonk, MA
Here at SERVPRO of The Attleboros, we are a trusted leader in the restoration industry. We have a number of disaster recovery services that we tailor due to the type of a disaster. Our technicians respond quickly and are trained in a number of different fields to get the job done both quickly and effectively.
Our residential services include, but are not limited to:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building Services
If you have any questions regarding our residential services, please visit our website.
When disaster strikes your place of business, we understand how much of a bother this can be to you, your staff, and your productivity. We are a restoration company and devote our time and work to disaster recovery and restoration. We understand that every hour lost cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of The Attleboros provides professional cleaning and emergency restoration services to get your business running smoothly again.
Our commercial services include, but are not limited to:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Mold Remediation
- Commercial Cleaning Services
- Commercial Storm and Major Events
SERVPRO of The Attleboros is ready 24/7, 365 days a year. We understand that a disaster has the ability to strike at any moment, and that is why we make our crews available to you and your family in any time of need.
If you have any questions or would like to inquire about our services, please visit our website (mentioned above), or give us a call at (508) 223-0505!
Slip, Trip and Fall!
Slips, trips, and falls are a common cause of accidents and injuries. Most slip or fall accidents can be prevented by following some simple preventative measures. Inspect a fire-damaged building for potential slippery surfaces and tripping obstacles; then apply safety measures to prevent an accident.
People sometimes do not think about the potential hazard of walking on slippery surfaces. Wet floors are slippery. A dry floor may pose a hazard if a surface nearby is wet (for example, someone walking across a wet carpet, gets their shoes wet, and then walks onto a hard surface floor and slips). Use signs to warn people when floors are wet and slippery. Many people do not realize that soot residues deposited on tile flooring is also a potential slippery surface.
Structures that have been damaged by fire can present various kinds of trip and fall hazards. Keep floors, walkways, and aisles clean, dry and free from protruding nails, splinters, loose boards, holes, or projections. Cover holes in the floor or mount a temporary guardrail, so people do not accidentally trip or fall.
As the snow finally melts in Massachusetts, homeowners everywhere are dealing with more leaks, flooding and related problems in their home(s). With water damage, mold can follow. Fortunately, you can prevent the spread of mold this spring. These five simple and practical tips from SERVPRO of The Attleboros will help you control moisture, properly ventilate your home, thoroughly clean, and ultimately, prevent mold from growing inside of your home.
Reposition Your Downspouts
Make sure your downspouts are positioned away from your home. This will ensure water drains away from the house preventing debris, soil, and stone buildup. Repositioning the downspouts will help ensure the interior of your home remains nice and dry and, as a result, free of fungal growth.
Use a Dehumidifier
Many homes have a closed-loop ventilation system, which essentially recirculates the same air indoors. To purify the air and prevent indoor air contaminants from collecting, consider using a dehumidifier. Your basement, for example, is a great place to install a dehumidifier, because basements are generally damp. The dehumidifier will help keep the relative humidity between 30 and 50 percent hereby preventing black mold growth.
Check Your Attic
Inspect your crawl space, your attic or any room you tend to overlook or think little about. Because you do not spend a great deal of time in these rooms, you will neither consider nor suspect mold growth. The longer mold grows, the greater its damage. Not only will the cost to remediate the problem increase, but your health may worsen because of ongoing mold exposure. So, it is crucial you detect mold in its earliest stages. Inspecting the rooms you do not usually will help you do just that.
Repair All Leaks
If the wintry weather has damaged your home's foundation or roofing, leaving cracks of any size, water can easily enter. When you have moisture, the right temperature, and a food source (think drywall), mold can grow within just 24 to 48 hours. Act fast and fix leaking pipes, deteriorating window sills and frames, and even a cracked chimney or foundation. Inspect areas of your home where there's more plumbing and potential for leaks: in the basement and underneath the bathroom and kitchen sinks. Unfortunately, you cannot always see a leaking pipe. In many cases, it's either behind a wall or underneath a floorboard. For assurance and peace of mind, consider calling SERVPRO of The Attleboros for a professional assessment.
Spring is the perfect time to clean your carpets; furniture; kitchen crevices; bathroom grout; and all of the dark, damp corners of your home. Cleaning each of these will help you keep tabs on problem areas. You are more likely to locate water damage and prevent mold if you are cleaning on a regular basis.
Always control moisture, keep sufficient airflow and clean your home often. If you see signs of mold following your spring cleaning, contact SERVPRO of The Attleboros to professionally clean, dry and disinfect the area. Mold in your home due to winter conditions is an unfortunate situation, but SERVPRO of The Attleboros will happily clean up any damage and make it look, "Like it never even happened."
For additional tips, use this checklist to get your home spring-ready.
Biohazard Safety Precautions
At SERVPRO of the Attleboros we make it our top priority to inform all of our customers about the dangers concerning bio-hazardous waste. Not sure what constitutes as bio-hazardous waste? According to Iowa State University of Science and Technology, “Bio-hazardous waste is define as: All biologically contaminated waste that could potentially cause harm to humans, domestic or wild animals or plants. Examples include human and animal blood, tissues, and certain body fluids, recombinant DNA, and human, animal or plant pathogens.”
Equipped with the necessary safety apparatus and cleaning products, we can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean and safe, homes and offices.
After any contamination to your home or business, it is necessary to ask yourself a few questions:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- How long have you been exposed to the contaminant?
- Is it a flood? Did you know that floods can contain sewage and pesticides, among many other things?
- What activities are safe for you to perform?
Although these are just a few of the many questions you should be asking yourself when a bio-hazardous situation occurs, we have the professionals capable of transforming any dangerous situation into a safe and conducive living environment.
If you have any questions or concerns, please give us a call at (508)-223-0505 or visit our website.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
Even though it's February 4th, don't think that your pipes cannot freeze!
Being prepared and informed about the dangers of frozen pipes may help you prevent a loss. SERVPRO of the Attleboros can provide you with information and suggestions about how to prevent your homes pipes from freezing:
- Drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer's or installer's directions. Do not put antifreeze in these lines unless directed. Antifreeze is environmentally harmful, and is dangerous to humans, pets, wildlife, and landscaping.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas. Look in the basement, crawl space, attic, garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
- Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes like a "pipe sleeve" or installing UL-listed "heat tape," "heat cable," or similar materials on exposed water pipes. Newspaper can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes – even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
During Cold Weather, Take Preventative Action
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
If you experience any issues, please do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of the Attleboros at 508-223-0505 or visit our website.
Tips excerpted from The American Red Cross.
How to Fight Winter Weather in New England
A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the back-flow of pressure between the water source and the blockage. A broken pipe can cause considerable damage to your property, if not addressed quickly.
Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter season. They form when heated air melts snow on the roof downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can back-flow under the roof's shingles and into the structure's interior areas.
A "puffback" is a messy furnace malfunction that occurs when an oil burner backfires, sending soot throughout your home or business. It can happen all at once, covering an interior in grimy soot, or a puffback can leak soot particles more gradually.
Help prevent the spread of flu germs. Homes and businesses can depend on their local SERVPRO Franchise Professional to clean and sanitize building materials, surfaces, and contents following restoration industry standards, using professional cleaning products and EPA-registered cleaners and disinfectants.
For more information, please visit our website.
Sewage Cleanup & Restoration in Seekonk, MA
Did you know that sewage backups are more than just a foul-smelling mess? These backups contain viruses, bacteria, and other microbes. Be SERVPRO Ready and know what contaminated water is.
There are three types of contaminated water:
Category 1 – Clear Water
- Includes water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If not treated, it can turn into category 2 or 3
Category 2 – Gray Water
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can result from a washing machine, dishwasher, or toilet overflow
Category 3 – Black Water
- May contain untreated sewage, chemicals, and microbes
- Highly contaminated and can cause severe illness
- Results from water from flooding rivers or sewer backups
Tips & Facts:
- Only restoration professionals should cleanup sewage backups
- Don’t run any water down drains until the blockage has been cleared
- Keep children away from contaminated areas
- Dispose of or wash any contaminated objects (bedding, clothing, carpets)
At SERVPRO of the Attleboros, our professionals are trained and ready to treat any contaminated water issues 24 hours, 365 days a year. Never hesitate to give us a call or visit our website.